Posted By Press Democrat Staff Writer Michael Coit:
In the summer following just her second year of high school, Taylor Young has joined an impressive list of Empire swimmers qualifying for next year’s U.S. Olympic Team Trials.
The first Empire prep swimmer to make the prestigious meet so far this year, Young qualified with a 1:12.03 in the 100 meter breast stroke at the recent Los Angeles Invitational. Young, an All-Empire swimmer at Ursuline High, lowered her personal best in the event by nearly a full second.
“That’s a lot, especially in the 100,” Young said. “I’ve been working on my technique a lot, the fluidity of my stroke.”
Swimming for the Santa Rosa Neptunes club, Young still hopes to make the trial’s standard in the 200 meter breast stroke. Her next attempt will come at the Speedo Junior National Championships Aug. 8-12, at Stanford University.
In qualifying for the trials, Young gained a spot in the 100 breast stroke field at the ConocoPhillips USA Swimming National Championships that started Tuesday and run through Saturday, also at Stanford. Young races Thursday.
“It’s is a big meet, but it’s just another meet,” she said.
Seeded 69 out of 115 in her event at the nationals, Young must swim yet another personal best to have a shot at making the final field of 30 swimmers. Still, she is confident of lowering her time heading to the trials.
“I think so. I’m ready,” she said.
The qualifying period for the 2012 trials began on October 1, 2009. The Olympic Trials are set for June 25-July 2 in Omaha, Neb.
A handful of former Empire prep swimmers already have qualified for the 2012 Olympic Trials. They also are competing at the USA Swimming National Championships.
* Molly Hannis, Santa Rosa High/Tennessee, 100 breaststroke. (Qualified for 2008 Olympic Trials).
* Amanda Sims, Montgomery/Cal, 100 and 200 butterfly, 50 freestyle. (Qualified for 2004, 2008 Olympic Trials).
* Maya DiRado, Maria Carrillo/Stanford, 200 and 400 freestyle, 100 and 200 backstroke, 200 and 400 individual medley. (Qualified for 2008 Olympic Trials).
* Penelope Yamauchi, Montgomery/Arizona State, 200 breaststroke.
* Sophia Yamauchi, Montgomery/UC Santa Barbara, 100 breaststroke.